Friday, December 26, 2008

This Thing

So, I'm watching TV about a week ago and I get this creepy thing that keeps happening to me. Some female model comes on talking about some crap she's selling and suddenly, she becomes so beautiful she's ugly.

Seriously. I looked at her and she was stunning. Absolutely breath taking. Then, everything she was became ugly. It wasn't some sort of ideological thing about beauty for sale. I think she burnt out my beauty circuit. I think my mind had enough of beauty. There's too much of it. A surplus of it. As TV and film pushes the envelope, regular gals try to keep up. This raises even a moderately pretty girl or guy to a new level when they use the hollywood image as the goal.

Everyone and everything is getting too pretty.

I want to smash it.

Suddenly, I was awash in punk angst, but it was a visceral response and not a hunger for rebellion. My beauty meter had flamed out completely and all beauty cause a sickening buzz in my mind for a few days.

I'm better now, but the impression lingers. There's something devious going on in advertising, but I think it might end up having unintended backlash. The mind can only handle so much beauty.