Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Poll Shows: 7 out of 10 Americans Have No Clue

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/18/poll.iraq.economy/index.html

Read it if you want, but I'll sum it up. 7 out of 10 Americans think the war in Iraq has had a negative effect on the economy. Hmmmmm. Uh. Hmmmmmm.

How? Did they explain how?

Would the government have put the money spent on the war into a magical "save the economy" account? Have we seen a tax increase for it? Is anyone buying War Bonds? Is there a steel shortage? Is the global economy based in Iraq? The banking industry gave all those bad loans and defaulted because of a protracted military engagement? It made us too sad to spend? Were we sending money over to Iraq from our bank accounts?

Ohhhhhh.... It must be gas prices. Iraq had oil so that affected prices at the pump, right? Uhhhhhh.... look at the SHINY PENNY America! You are feeling sleepy. Believe things that make no sense because the TV told you war was bad.

War is hell for the soldiers and their families and the towns it happens in. War, in general, does not cause a banking crisis. Government spending increases the viability of the economy. War spending sends money to US contractors and into the economy. Government spending on a war creates jobs. Soldiers overseas open up jobs at home. It's not nice, but it does help the economy, not hurt it.

I liked it better when we blamed global warming for everything...

11 comments:

Malach the Merciless said...

I guess I am clueless

Dr. Robert J. Murk said...

Yes. Yes you are. Explain one way in which this war in Iraq has caused the current recession.

AngryMan said...

War historically has not been bad for the economy. Especially one like this one. It's kind of like Vietnam or Korea, the protracted war creates a confidence crisis (much like the cause of most sexual problems) that hinders investing and puts people in a state of unease. That usually bleeds over into other areas. Its nonsensical, but it happens.

Forrest Proper said...

You are absolutely correct- our economic problems have nothing to do with the occupation of Iraq. That will come later, when all the bills come due, but by that time George will be long gone. In fact, bush has been remarkably successful in isolating all aspects of the occupation of Iraq from the American public. I'm not saying that's a good thing, I think it is fundamentally dishonest, but I have to admit that he's done a helluva good job of it.

Forrest Proper said...

Point of Order- as I posted yesterday, there is no longer a "war" in Iraq. We all need to change our terminology. The war ended a few weeks after it began and we won. What we have now is an occupation.

Mike said...

I'm declaring war on Utah. Send me money now and I will leave Massachusetts alone. If you fail to send me money, I will deal with Mass after I kill Utah.

That's how I would support wars.

AngryMan said...

Wait, my comment should start "War historically has been bad for the economy."

Mike said...

I still blame everything on global warming. Even Angryman trying to change his comment.

AngryGinger said...

I have more clue & I'm in a uterus.

Forrest Proper said...

Maybe Angryginger could be President.

AngryGinger said...

Only douches can be presidents. I'm not a douche. I kick ass.