Saturday, July 19, 2008

BATMAN: The Review

The Darl Knight
a matinee review.

Going to see a movie for five bucks costs less than it does to drive there. So, I broke my own rule and went to see an overhyped movie in the cinema. I was entertained for just over two hours. That's $2.75 an hour. Not counting small soda at 3.50. Don't ask me why but soda always tastes better at the movies.

The venue was a small, out of the way place calle Flagship Cimenas in New Bedford MA. Stadium seating, middle middle row. Not too crowded.

Now the bad news.

Although the movie was not terrible, the writing was shakey. It's not the plot itself that causes problems, it's the dialogue. Preachy. Faux new age enlightened crap that has no place in a Batman movie. Batman seems more of a gravely voiced philosopher than a crime fighter, that is, when he's not trading one liners with everyone on camera.

Even Heath Ledger's slightly remarkable performance is marred by a few clunkers. Speaking of, let's put to rest the notion that this movie lead to his overdose. No. Unless there's something I missed, he's merely acting insane, not going insane. He's in control of his craft. If anything, drugs made him nutty enough to pull off a Joker, complete with stolen affectations from Jack Nicholson's version (the incessant lip smacking for one).

Is it a good movie? Mmmmm. Okay. Worth a matinee price. Sure. A masterpiece?

Well, superfriends, I regret to inform you that this is yet another in the long line of superhero movies that jumped under the bar. Having Just watched Batman Begins two nights ago, I can honestly say I liked that film better. It's unfair to compair a sequel to the original, but with all the promises, that's where I was lead. And disappointed.

The Run Down:

Christian Bale is flat. The costumes are great except the bat suit. Ledger is successful, but not eternal. The plot is jumbled, loose and based on tricks you see coming a mile away. It's gritty at times, but spoiled by lukewarm sentiments about liberty, freedom, heroism and life that just don't work. This movie seemed like it had guts at some point, but was neutered by the censors and stuffed with lessons and meaning.

In short, it gets a 'bah'.

Well, now time to wait for the Watchmen.

9 comments:

FreeOscar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FreeOscar said...

I agree that Bale was flat, but I think the movie was more than about BatMan. It dug deeper with the supporting cast including the small role of Morgan Freeman.
Ledger was amazing. The movie was more about the Joker than BatMan. It was the slightest things Ledger did that made the performance great such as the slightest lips licking. It reminded of Brando in On The Waterfront when he was playing with the gloves in the park. It's method acting at its best.

I will say it's not the greatest movie ever like so many people have been saying. It's a good movie.

AngryMan said...

King Kong, you're wrong!

Malach the Merciless said...

I mostly agree, but I loved Ledger, and Aaron Eckhardt stole the show as Two Face. See my WoW review.

Cash said...

Batman fighting dogs was highly offensive to me. Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale are the next Michael Vick.

LONG LIVE THE REVOLUTION!

Casey said...

OMG LOLS I can't believe you don't think it was the best movie evar!!!!1!.

Because it was not. Heath Ledger was pretty damn good.

i didn't like how gadgety this movie was. And the extremely heavy handed metaphors for current issues (surveillance to catch a terrorist, torture, etc.)

I prefer my Liberalist bullshit puked out by pundits.

The next movie will have Poison Ivy and will be a commentary on climate change and/or female genital mutilation.

Malicious Intent said...

It's Batman for shits sake! It's a comic book character.

I'm holding out for the Kid Intense movie.

Sara Sue said...

Man ... your first mistake was to watch Batman Begins before going! Hard to beat that one, for me it is THE Batman movie.

Malicious Intent said...

Batman beats his mohter. He must be a good Catholic.