Friday, July 20, 2007

Just For Hobbs

Because 'sports are stupid', let's take a closer look at some of the sporting headlines of the week. Let's see...

Michael Vick kills dogs... Joey Proter punches dude at blackjack table... brrrrr... um, NBA Referee investigated for manipulating games to win bet....

WAIT!!!!!

NBA Refs are biased and intentionally keep games close? Hell, a two year old could tell you that. Here's the part I don't understand. I thought David Stern told them to keep the games close, not the MAFIA!

Well, either way, my long standing theory of corrupt NBA Officiating is finally proven true. One step away from proving David Stern IS a mob boss.

1. He runs that league like a mob boss.

2. Marketable players always seem to end up in the finals. Detroit was the exception, until Stern poisoned Larry Brown and paid Ron Artest to start a near riot at the Palace.

3. David Stern TALKS like a mob boss. Not the voice, not the accent, but he's always vaguely threatening and intentionally obtuse during interviews.

If I were this Ref, I'd be out of the country by now. Bad enough he's being investigated for ties to the mob, he's ruining David Stern's league!

Stern: Hey, come take a look at this view out here on my balcony.

Ref: No thank you, sir.

Stern: Did I put a question mark on that.

Ref: No.

Stern: C'mere.

Ref: Please, I... I...

Stern: I'm not going to kill you. Come here.

Nobody is telling the truth if they try to assure you that they aren't going to kill you.

Point is, it's one thing when the news headlines are all filled with scandal. When the sports page reads like the police blotter, that's a different cow altogether. We can tell a lot about a society by its entertainment.

Kids follow athletes, musicians and celebrities. The Western World has not held these people accountable for the last 20 years or more. This group coming into their own right now are a continuation of the downward spiral of the West.

I, for one, am okay with all of this. If I'm going to live out my life, day after day, grind in and grind out, I'd rather do it with the world in flames around me. History always needs flames.

Some idiots would miss the connection of sports and society, but the two mirror each other. Follow American Culture and American Sports. They rise and fall together.

I just hope I get my book written before the electricity gets shut down. No one can read my writing...

5 comments:

Malach the Merciless said...

OK, then please explain to me, Isiah Thomas, GM extrodinaire

AngryMan said...

Two things . . .
1) You forgot to mention that the league is full of thugs/prisoners.
2) Do I get a free copy of your book?

Dr. Robert J. Murk said...

Mal,

Explain what? There's nothing to explain.

Angryman,

1. Two points... AND THE FOUL! Take your free throw. Point taken.

2. Yes, but you may not like it.

AngryMan said...

That's a given.

Hobbs von Wackamole said...

Actually, Murk my living dead zombie friend, I don't know that I ever said sports were stupid. I said 'Sports are for Kids.' And you keep proving my point. The way these overgrown steroidal adolecents are acting, worse than any spoiled Brat I know!